William R. Ridenour
Summary of Relevant Arts Experience
- Studying and performing music in 40 (US) states and 28 countries worldwide since 1998
- Full-time, professional musician since 2006
- Recorded on 13 full-length albums
- Studied traditional music in West Africa 2003, 2010, 2011, and 2016
- B.A. Anthropology; Music Minor, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 2010
- Self-funded Personal Music Study and Recording, Senegal, (12 days) 2016
- Self-funded Personal Music Study, Mali & Senegal, (1 Month) 2011
- Academic (administered by the School for International Training, VT), Bamako, Mali, (4 Months) 2010
- Self-funded Personal Music Study, Mali & Senegal, (6 Weeks) 2003
Arts-Related Employment & Contract Work
Aug 2000-present: Self-Employed Musician
- Working in central NC public and private K-12 schools, colleges, and universities doing performance and demonstration of West African music and culture Performing in public and private venues of all shapes, sizes, colors, and legal status across the US, Europe, and Senegal.
Jan 2015-present: Sewa Beats, North America
- Providing music and other services for corporate leadership training programs.
Aug 2012-2019: Montessori Community School
- Teaching After-school Program, African Drumming, Durham, NC.
Nov 2013-present: Door To Door of NC
- Providing music for patients, staff, and visitors of UNC Hospital, Chapel Hill, NC.
Mar 2003-2008: UNCG
- Part-time Accompanist for Modern and African Dance Classes
Jan 2006-2008: Guilford College;
- Part-time Accompanist for Modern Dance Classes
- Kora Instructor, Kumandi African Drum & Dance Camp, Little Switzerland, NC, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020
- Djembe Instructor, Shakori Hills Community Arts Center Drum Workshops, Pittsboro, NC, 2017
- Music Workshop, KidsPath Retreat (Hospice), Browns Summit, NC, 2012
- Duke Science Camp Workshop, Science of Sound Music Session, Durham, NC, 2012
- Guest Lecturer, World Music and African Culture Classes 2002-present
- - UNC-Greensboro
- - UNC-Chapel Hill
- - North Carolina State University
- Kora Lecture / Demonstration Suzuki Institute, Furman University 2008
- Kora, Percussion Lecture, North Carolina public and private schools with Talking Drums, Inc 2002-2007;
- Kora, Percussion Lecture / Demonstration North Carolina public schools and libraries with Wesley Williams Urban Dance Theater & Suah African Dance Theater, 2006, 2016, 2017
- Kora, Percussion Private Music Lessons 2002-present
- Duke Performances’ Music in the Gardens, Durham NC, with Diali Cissokho & Kaira Ba, 2013, 2015, 2018; percussion
- The National Folk Festival, Greensboro, NC, with Diali Cissokho & Kaira Ba, 2017; percussion
- The North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh, NC, with Paperhand Puppet Intervention, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2017, 2018; kora, percussion
- North Charleston Arts Fest, Charleston, SC, with Diali Cissokho & Kaira Ba, 2014, 2016, 2018; percussion
- Festival for the Eno, Durham, NC, with Diali Cissokho & Kaira Ba, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017; percussion
- Shakori Hills Grassroots Festival of Music and Dance, Pittsboro, NC, with various groups 2007 – 2018; kora, percussion
- Memorial Hall, Chapel Hill, NC; “Mau a Malawi – Stories of AIDS” performance; percussion
- Palais du Cultur, Thies, Senegal, with Diali Cissokho & Kaira Ba, 2011; percussion
- Witherspoon Art Museum, Greensboro, NC, UNC-G New Music Festival, 2011; kora
- Durham Arts Council’s CenterFest, Durham, NC, 2009; kora
- Wake Forest University, Brendle Recital Hall, Winston-Salem, NC, 2008; kora
- Konservokouti, Athens, Greece, with Zegota, 2005; drum set
- Mocvara, Zagreb, Croatia, with Zegota, 2000, 2004; drum set
Score / Soundtrack Composition & Performance
- "We Are Here" by Paperhand Puppet Intervention 2019
- “In the Heart of the Fire” by Paperhand Puppet Intervention 2018
- “Of Wings and Feet” by Paperhand Puppet Intervention 2017
- “The Grapes of Wrath” by High Point University Theater Dept. 2016
- “The Painted Bird” by Paperhand Puppet Intervention 2014
- “City of Frogs” by Paperhand Puppet Intervention 2012
- “The Serpent’s Egg” by Paperhand Puppet Intervention 2011
- “The Big Tent Cabaret Road Show” by Paperhand Puppet Intervention 2011
- “Islands Unknown” by Paperhand Puppet Intervention 2010
- “Labyrinth” by Dance Magic Dance Productions 2009
- “The Living Sea of Memory” by Paperhand Puppet Intervention 2009
- “Awake the White and Wintr’y Queen” by Scott Fray 2009
- “Habitus” by Vector, 2015; original music.
- “Stitch” by Leah Wilks Dance, 2013; original music.
- “Secrets I Never Told My Mother” by Leah Wilks Dance & Haas Studios, 2012; original music.
- Peace In Our Pockets, (In The Groove Productions 2015); original music.
- Still Point, (John Haas 2012); original music.
- The Longest Night: A Winter’s Tale, (Planetarium Full-dome Film), UNC-Chapel Hill’s Morehead Planetarium & Paperhand Puppet Intervention, (2012); original music.
- NBC-17, Sessions at Studio B, live performance with Diali Cissokho & Kaira Ba, 2012; percussion.
Poetry / Spoken Word
- Therapeutic Meditations, Amelia Vogler; 2019; kora, percussion.
- Rumi By Candlelight, Annual Poetry and Music Performances, Yearly performances 2007-present; kora, percussion.
Publications / Papers
- "The Kora and Korafolaw: A Treatise on the Musical Instrument and Those Who Play It", School for International Training, Independent Study Project, 2010
Awards / Nominations / Scholarships
- Winner of Retreat at WildAcres Retreat Center, Little Switzerland, NC. Project: Grand Shores. 2020
- AFRIMA (All-Africa Music Awards) Best African Group Nominee, Diali Cissokho & Kaira Ba, 2014
- Durham Arts Council Emerging Artists Grant ($1,500), 2011
- School for International Training Study Abroad Scholarship ($5,000), 2009
- Arts Council of Greater Greensboro CPRAH Grant ($1,290), 2008
- Tradewinds, Grand Shores, (CD, Robust Records – 2020)
- The Music of We Are Here, Paperhand Band, (CD, self-released - 2019)
- Routes, Diali Cissokho & Kaira Ba, (CD, Twelve | Eight Records – 2018)
- The Music of In the Heart of the Fire, Paperhand Band, (CD, self-released – 2018)
- Of Wings and Feet, The Music, Paperhand Band, (CD, self-released – 2017)
- Colors of Flying, Will Ridenour, (CD, self-released - 2014)
- The Great Peace, Diali Cissokho & Kaira Ba, (CD, self-released - 2014)
- Resonance, Diali Cissokho & Kaira Ba, (CD, self-released – 2012)
- Wind & Stars – Kora & Piano, Will Ridenour & Betsy Bevan, (CD, self-released – 2008)
- Florida St. Serenade, Dawn Chorus, (CD, Fractured Discs – 2008)
- s/t, Will Ridenour, (CD, self-released – 2007)
- 7”, Zegota, (7” Vinyl, Crimethinc – 2007)
- Reclaim, Zegota, (CD, Crimethinc - 2004; LP, Stonehenge [France] - 2004, Amor y Lucha [US] - 2004, Trujaca Fala - [Poland] 2004; Cassette, Refuse [Poland] - 2004)
- Namaste, Zegota, (CD, Crimethinc - 2001, Demon Box [Sweden] - 2002)
- Movement in the Music, Zegota, (CD + LP, Crimethinc - 1998; LP, Reflections [Holland] 1998; Cassette, Youth Culture [Poland] - 2000)
Session / Studio / Contract Work / Compilations
- T-Bone Slim, John Westmoreland, (CD, forthcoming); kora, percussion.
- Cast Fire, John Westmoreland, (CD, self-released 2019); kora, percussion.
- The Tao of Time, Jim Roberts, (CD, self-released 2018); kora.
- Instant, Stick Against Stone, (CD, Media Groove 2016); drum set, percussion.
- Earth Poems, Betsy Bevan, (CD, self-released 2014); kora.
- Arc Iris, Liam Singer, (Hidden Shoal 2013); kora.
- Friends Outside of Time, Adrian Vyner-Brooks, (self-released 2009); kora, percussion.
- Making Children's Songs a Threat Again!, Various Artists [Zegota], (LP, Guerilla Shooting [France] 2005); drum set.
- With Literacy and Justice For All....A benefit for the DC Area Books to Prisons Project, Various Artists [Zegota], (Exotic Fever - 2000); drum set.